What are the benefits of using LED grow lights?
Indoor growers and gardeners are quickly becoming aware of the advantages of switching over to LED grow lights. The benefits of using LED lights vs traditional bulbs essentially come down to saving you money in the long run by being more efficient and targeted. LEDs are at the forefront of emergency technology, so where High-Intensity Discharge (HID) and High Pressure Sodium (HPS) are stalling and not advancing much in terms of innovation, LED grow lights are doubling exponentially every 2 years. Here is a list of the top 5 advantages of led grow lights that you will get from using LED bulbs in your indoor growing set-up.
Top 5 Advantages Of LED Grow Lights
- Energy Efficient:One of the greatest benefits of using LED lights to grow with is that they consume as much as 70% less energy that the traditional bulbs like HPS and HID. They are much more energy efficient than the normally used grow lights, even including Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) and Incandescent lights.
- In one study, they tested the efficiency between HPS lamps against LED grow lights. The results showed that used LEDs decreased the total energy consumption by 40%
- Another study on tomatoes in a greenhouses showed that in this type of setting, a 75% reduction in energy consumption was a result of using LED grow lights. Using LED’s to scale up grow house operations is the environmentally friendly and sustainable solution for the future, especially with the way the world is headed right now.
- NASA is actually testing LED grow lights in space to grow food using an energy efficient method, which of course is vital when it comes to surviving in space.
- Longest Lifetime: LED lights run for about 100 times longer than incandescent bulbs and about 10 times longer than CFLs. So even though Led grow lights reviews can cost more upfront the advantage here is in the long run, in terms of cost savings. The cost will be recovered over time because the not only are they energy efficient (see #1), but they also have to be replaced far less frequently due to their extended lifetime.
- In addition to their long lifespans, LED lights will give the user a heads-up when they are starting to die out. The lights will slowly decrease in brightness, instead of shutting off all at once, which will give you preparation time to replace them.
- In general, LED lights can be expected to last up to about 50,000 hours, but some users seeing up to 100,000 hours. That is at least 2.5 times more than what HPS and HID lamps can expect (less than 20,000 hours)